Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Project 365 - Days 36 to 38 (Macro shots)

Day 36 (July 14, 2015):  The past 35 days of this 1 year project has been of random shots, taken at my fancy at whatever subject becomes available.  For the next 35 days or so, I plan on putting more discipline and order in my shots, concentrating on a certain feature of photography.  For the next week or so I decided to concentrate on the macro feature, or in the large aperture shots, looking at objects/subjects up close – and personal.  Some object do look different up close, some more beautiful than others, some just different and not easily recognizable.  This day I took pictures of things I found in the kitchen - the leftover rice and the box of altoids.  The rice with aperture f/5.3 and shutter speed of 1/50 sec. the Altoids with a similar setting – aperture f/5.0 and shutter speed of 1/60 sec.




Day 37 (July 15, 2015): Another day of getting up close with these impersonal items - the newspaper and the front of the Toyota revo.  I especially like how the picture of the front of the Toyota turned out, this was the first of two shots – I have noticed that some of my first shots are better than succeeding shots, not sure about the logic of this, though I’ve learned that with live subjects succeeding shots turn out better.  The Toyota shot; aperture 1/5.6 and shutter speed 1/160 sec. the newspaper, aperture 1/5.6 and shutter speed 1/100 sec, focal length 55mm on both.



Day 38 (July 16, 2015):  It rained this afternoon and I tried to take some macro shots of the after effects of the rain.  Taking a shot of Crafty up close was a little accident, I was trying to take a shot of her fur, but ahe got up and looked at me and I took a shot before getting up at a safer distance.  I did get a shot of her fur but this one was a better shot.



I wondered why at times when trying to increase the aperture, I could get the number down to around 4, but at times would be limited to 5.6.  I figured out that lowering the focal length allows the aperture to increase.  The shot of the raindrops on the leaves gave me an aperture of f/4.2 with a focal length of 26mm.


0 comments:

Post a Comment