Monday, June 29, 2015

Utang, Maaalala mo rin...

My past blogs have concentrated on my photography project.  I've wanted to blog for some time now on other issues, because there are many other issues more important that photography.  Last Friday I got an unexpected visitor, a family friend who lives a couple of roads from us, on the street where we used to live.  She hardly visits and the one last time she did was to ask for money to loan, "mangutang" in our vocabulary.  This time wasn't any different.  She told me her predicament over paying her bills and not having the sources she needed.  The last time (was it 2 or 3 years ago?) it was the same story and the same promise of being paid in a couple of months.  I wrote about this in one blog which I entitled "Utang Kalimutan".  (After searching for this link I now realize it's been 4 years since I wrote that blog and that loan was made).

Anyway, though the circumstances were the same: she needed money, she was asking to borrow the same amount and the same promise of payment within 2 months (mind you, it was a promise of payment of her first utang and not this present one), one thing was not the same.  I wasn't the same, naive girl that would fall again for her story and her false promises.  You fool me once, but not again.  I don't mean to be crude and I did feel her need, but I had to be practical and truthful.  I have my own bills to pay and I told her outright that I only had enough for our own budget, giving her the evidence of my two kids (who were in front of her at the time of our conversation) who need money for school besides other costs.

It was with a heavy heart that she left, though it was nice to chat with her about other things, like family.  I hope that she understood my decision.  "Sinubukan ko lang naman, baka sakali" ("I only tried, maybe hoping.") were her words.  Well, I did give her a chance the last time, but her words were not trustworthy.  4 years it has been since her last unpaid debt and she was asking for another loan. You fool me once, but not again.  I know she hasn't forgotten her debt or utang, but she said at least she has made some progress in her other loans (she has been loaning from the bombays, but has paid that off), which makes me happy for her.  She may never pay her debt to me, but I hope that she does find a way out of her financial crisis.

And as I think of a title for this blog, I don't want to repeat "Utang Kalimutan", because I know that it is never forgotten.

0 comments:

Post a Comment