Saturday, October 4, 2014

Ukay Ukay - Being a Fashionista for Less

My little girl who is now 9 has turned out to be quite a fashionista, thanks in part to her stylist – her dear mother.  Not a fashionista myself, I’ve probably subconsciously put my frustrations in this part of my personality towards my only girl.  And I’m glad that at this stage in her childhood, she is willing to take part.

Though I myself dress quite conservatively, my girl dresses with more dare and this early on you can see that she has a sense of fashion, even wearing 2 inch heels, something that I didn’t do at her age or even now.
I fell in love with this dress at an ukay-ukay store in Araneta Center, Cubao.  I bought it over 3 years ago and it's only now that she can fit in it.  Again this knitted fabric that I love, this one with some hint of silver glittery thread.  It's see-thru so she has to wear sando and shorts underneath.  It was more expensive than I usually buy from second-hand stores. I think I paid P150 for it, but no regrets.  She wears this often with her peach 2 inch heels which isn't seen here in the picture, which I bought again at Divisoria for P250.

The sleeveless top I bought at an ukay-ukay on Quezon Avenue across from Sto Domingo church.  I think it cost P50.  It is made of a fine, knitted material with lining, just right for the pretty skirt that Mommy Rems bought from Ross and that big blue heart necklace for accent (Joselyn's idea to add the necklace).  The necklace cost only P10 at Divisoria.

But being fashionable doesn’t have to be expensive.  I think I’ve mentioned in this blog before how I enjoy buying at ukay-ukay (thrift stores selling second hand items).  I enjoy that you can buy something at a mere fraction of the original price and that the item is unique, something you won’t find in department stores.


Most of these items that my daughter is wearing is from ukay-ukay...
Worn at last year's school Christmas party, the dress which has a spaghetti strap and layered bottom was bought by my mom at an ukay-ukay (Goodwill store) in San Francisco, USA.  The boots was a great find at Divisoria for P200.  It goes well with or without the denim vest which she wore since it was cold in the classroom.

Another Christmas past, this one in 2012.  The blouse from an ukay-ukay in Cubao (the same one that I mentioned in the previous picture.  Sorry I forgot the names of these stores. But it's a big ukay-ukay store that is on a corner street on one of the main intersections in Araneta Center). The skirt from palengke in Blumentritt.  Went well with her school shoes and knee-high socks.

3 comments:

bambee navarro said...

Thanks to goodwill, yearly Lakeside rummage sale, and garage sales. They not only stretch our budget but somehow a form of therapy after a hard day's work or thinking of something to do on the weekend. For me, the value of a thing is not so much if its pretty, but if it's put to good use. Somehow, buying second hand benefits the seller (goodwill-where they send students to school), the buyer by getting the item at a bargain and lastly the environment by recycling stuff. Thanks Eileen for passing this good values to your daughter and not be ashamed of Ukay ukay

Anonymous said...

Very strongly agree with Bambee. Kung we're neighbors or live near one another, especially kung inaanak siya ni Kitti, naku Joselyn would be a shopping buddy.

Katulad ng sabi ni Bambs, absolutely no qualms about buying or wearing stuff from thrift-store and yard/garage sales. K is queen. You do find name brands although it's not the reason why we go. Basta ba oks ang quality and price, ayos.

Yes, the values we pass ensure. Had co-workers who would get stressed out as the school year arrives kasi their kids got used to always having brand-new shoes and other outfit. Parang tradition daw. Or those who feel down pag hindi bago ang suot sa party kasi pag-uusapan daw if it happens may mga tao who see them wear the same clothes twice in public.

Clothes still do not make the person.

Pete

Eileen Apostol said...

Actually at this age, she doesn't care where the clothes come from or even if they have a tear or two, which is easily repairable. Hope this "thriftiness" stays with her. I remember being baptized into the world of ukay-ukay, how I didn't at first like the smell of the stores. But it's something that you get used to and as long as the clothes are cleaned beforehand, the smell goes away and the clothes look almost like new. Yeah, I know what you mean Pete and Bambee about helping the environment and not having to always buy new clothes, especially expensive branded clothes.

Post a Comment