Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You've Got Mail

I woke up with a headache, sore throat and clogged sinuses.  Can a mother have a day off?  Nope!  It is not in our vocabulary.  So as I go about our morning routine of getting the kids ready for school, my head still throbs and I try to ignore the pain.  Well, it's more of a drowsy pain rather than an ouchy kind of pain.

Once the kids are out of the door, I try to pick up the aftermath, and instead of the usual household chores, I find myself on the sofa and pick up the TV remote control.  "You've Got Mail" is showing, which I've watched before, but it's a feel-good easy to watch movie, exactly what I need.  When was this movie made?  In the 90's, and yet it seems like ages ago.  Well, we are in 2011 and anything in the 20th century is ages ago.  But watching Meg Ryan use dial-up to connect to the internet, I smile.  Oh, I remember the days.  And how frustrating those days were, dial-up, getting busy signals and having s-l-o-w connection.  How time has changed!  The two stars were into what was "in" and new during those times - Email!  Sure we still use email, but with facebook, blogging and other networking sites, email seems to be phasing out.  How time has changed and oh, so fast!

We got 3 Christmas cards this year.  They say that actually mailing, using the post office to buy stamps, is outdated, but it still feels good to open an actual envelope, touch and flip open a card.  Yes, we are in the midst of an internet revolution, but how much of it is good for us?  Does it actually keep family and friends closer together or does it make the distance that much wider?

Another part of the movie which made me smile and reminisce was when Meg Ryan was in Starbucks and ordered "Caramel Macchiato" (not sure if this is the way it's spelled).  That was what I ordered when I bought at Starbucks back in the 90's when Starbucks was just below our office.  I'm not really into coffee, but caramel Macchiato tasted sweet, kind of like melted ice cream, hot instead of cold, of course.

0 comments:

Post a Comment