Monday, August 2, 2010

Carbonara

I cooked this past weekend. Quite a mean feat for one that only cooks rice and fries eggs, hotdogs, etc for the kid's baon. Jojo was out for the day (wedding in Binangonan) and Benjo was getting hungry. Jojo is the chef of the family and I usually try to leave the kitchen to him when he's around. But Saturday he was out and I had the kitchen to myself.

I see carbonara sauce in the cabinet and pull it out to read the instructions. Mmm, I think to myself, I can do that. They asked for bacon and parsley, we didn't have either. What we did have was left-over Spam and a can of button mushrooms. I dice the Spam and slice the mushrooms while the spaghetti noodles are boiling. I'm feeling like a pro with Benjo as my assistant!

Taking this picture was an afterthought, which explains the half-eaten plate. It was taken on my 2nd try, when we didn't have any spam left and I opted to use ham (from a can). Another good substitute.


The result was actually not bad, it was, if I can say so myself, rather delicious. Benjo thought it was too although I had thought he liked mushrooms, but he separated them on his plate. The Spam which I first thought was overcooked, turned out to be crunchy and added texture to the sauce. We added grated cheese which made it even more tastier. It was such a big hit with Benjo that he asked to make it again the next day.

Here's a recipe that I would like to try next. Tuna Noodle Casserole. My friend back in Seattle made a similar recipe which I thought was quite good and more importantly, so easy to make.

0 comments:

Post a Comment