Sunday, July 18, 2010

Be Still, Stop and Listen

We must integrate both the active and the contemplative characteristics of Martha and Mary. This was the message given at the homily this morning. I thought of myself as the Martha, always busy with housework, washing clothes, cleaning the house, etc. But for whom and for what? I say it's for myself and my family. But then how much time do I give them? How much time do I just sit still, stop and just listen and be there for the people I love? Mary chose the "better portion", to sit intently listening to the Lord. I wish I could do the same.

Even in my prayer time, my mind wonders all too often. Wonders on the less important aspects of life, when God has a bigger message He wants to give me. I need more guidance. I need the help of the Holy Spirit. Nothing else should matter - not the full laundry basket, the dusty furniture, the toys scattered everywhere - when I have my mind fixed on God. "Be still and know that I am God."

0 comments:

Post a Comment