Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fasting and Abstinence

Today is Ash Wednesday. We haven't been to mass yet and not yet received the ashes on our forehead. We hope to attend the 5pm mass at Lourdes. It's also a day of fasting and abstinence. I've resolved to fast on chocolates and playing computer games (which has become an addiction - again - just recently, with this game that Joselyn found on GameHouse titled Mad Caps! It's not as bad as last time, but still an hour a day on games is too much of a waste of time). The chocolate attachment has also become too much, with the chocolates given during Christmas and those that mom brought home still in the ref and my cravings almost throughout the day to eat just one, then two...

I had my full meal for the day at lunch. Fried tilapia and tilapia in miso soup. Bread and water for breakfast. I wasn't supposed to snack but couldn't help buying some bicho-bicho and eating on one while waiting for Jojo and the kids to pick me up from the clinic.

The challenge is to continue on the fasting for the rest of the day and night. Then abstaining from chocolate and games for the rest of Lent. It doesn't help that Red Ribbon has this big picture of a delicious chocolate cake on their window.

It's best to pray and know that there is a bigger reason for this sacrifice. It's not about me, nor my willpower to overcome these temptations. With only my willpower I cannot do this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment