Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Rice Shortage and Food Waste

When we go out to eat at fast-food chains or at food courts, we pass by the left-over meals of previous customers. What a waste! We are supposed to be a third-world country but you wouldn't believe it with what people leave on their plates. Why order more than you can eat? And if you can't finish your dish, why not share or have it wrapped to-go?

I was that way when I was younger - too shy to eat all of the food on my plate, I would always leave my plate unfinished. Now, I try my best, even if I already feel full, to not leave anything behind.

Rice is the main staple here and I admit it would be hard to do without it entirely. But we have tried to cut down on our rice intake here at home. I can live with bread, potatoes or corn - well, maybe. Depending on what the main dish is. Tuyo (dried fish) and bread isn't such a great combination. With the country's rice shortage (or at least what is told us in the news), we look back at the times when we have let food go to waste and remember those who have little or nothing to eat - rice or otherwise. -

0 comments:

Post a Comment